"Poetry is thoughts that breathe, and words that burn." ~Thomas Gray

"Poetry unites." ~Anon

"Truth is such a rare thing, it is delightful to tell it." ~Emily Dickinson


Written by Sarah Copeland
She lives in Gabriola Island, Canada
Her blog: Questions in Black and White
And, 2009 in Pictures

Burial Song *Hum soft my night angel*

Take my hand and lead me on
as you sing this burial song

'oh hum soft my night angel
lifting your eyes to a horizon
bathed in caramel

oh hum soft my night angel
lowering your blood stained bones
into an earthen swaddle

oh hum soft my night angel
as the flies fill your ears,
you are deaf but don't be doubtful

oh hum soft my night angel
the shadows they laugh with grief
miming your journey dismal

oh hum soft my night angel
in the sky somewhere between the stars
there is a space for you my angel

oh hum soft my night angel
as this song comes to an end
and your body begins to shrivel

oh hum soft my night angel
lifting your eyes to a cover of mud
that stray feet will trample

oh hum soft my night angel
so as not to frighten the ignorant;
hum soft my night angel.'

Posted with consent from the writer.

4 Comments:

  1. WHY? said...
    What a magical and mystical poem! It's dark, but still beautiful.

    Especially this-

    oh hum soft my night angel
    in the sky somewhere between the stars
    there is a space for you my angel
    Nadege said...
    as if someone is making love to
    a lover, yet at the same time
    torturing their lover...
    a haunting piece, with a chantlike
    feel to her.
    Karen said...
    This is powerful and haunting.
    C. Taylor Brown said...
    Intriguing poem. I like your style, it's captivating.
    C. Brown
    English Experiment
    http://chriswasbrown.blogspot.com

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home



Note: All written material is copyrighted by the individual writer and/or blog author, and may not be used without written consent. Copyright © Breathing Poetry 2009. All Rights Reserved.

"Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words." ~Robert Frost

I thank you for visiting, Breathing Poetry.
~"May love and laughter light your days!"


Breathing Poetry: A Collection of Words and Emotions
Poetry Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory