"Poetry is thoughts that breathe, and words that burn." ~Thomas Gray

"Poetry unites." ~Anon

"Truth is such a rare thing, it is delightful to tell it." ~Emily Dickinson


Written by Rachel Westfall
She lives in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Her blog: The Waxing Moon

Feline Night Thoughts

The cat’s jaw clicks steadily as he sleeps,
his tongue pressing mechanically
against his palate. I wonder

if he’s dreaming of his mother
and the life-milk she fed him,
or of a bird, his typical waking-jaw-clack
muted by his curled posture.

His toes are long, like fingers,
strong and elegant; so useful
for tipping water-glasses
so the fluid runs curiously
out across the table and onto the floor.

His tail curls across his nose
and for once, he is still.

Originally published on writer's personal blog.
Posted with consent of the writer.

8 Comments:

  1. Kat Mortensen said...
    Rachel's poetry never disappoints.
    As owner of four felines, I can attest to this behaviour, although articulating it as well as she has, may not be possible.

    Kat Mortensen
    WHY? said...
    Beautiful poem to describe a beautiful moment. Cats are amazing animals. Their complexity never fails to intrigue!
    Catherine Vibert said...
    Rachel this is great. It makes me think of my own Marlow when he is awake and talking to the birds at the feeder outside the window.
    christopher said...
    Rachel, thank you and I think it's cool you are here. I think our friend here is very good at choosing her posts and I look forward daily to what will appear.
    3,4,5,2...okay then.

    Sometimes to just marvel, I will take my cat's forepaw and hold it, squeeze just ahead of the main pad and marvel at the fingers and nails. She kind of likes it, so long as I don't hold it too long.
    Crafty Green Poet said...
    I often wonder what cats dream too, nice poem
    Kelley Carey MacDonald said...
    I can feel this cat next to me - this is a wonderful poem. Yes - I believe in the 'mother-memories' - my cat MAKES me 'clean' his face with my thumb (that he wets) every single night before sleep, then he tries to suckle on another finger - seems to snap awake and realize it's me, then settles down to sleep ... every single night.
    Karen said...
    Nice, Rachel, very nice! You have caught the cat to perfection. I often wonder, too, what they dream.
    Anonymous said...
    I watch my cat a lot...I still wonder.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home



Note: All written material is copyrighted by the individual writer and/or blog author, and may not be used without written consent. Copyright © Breathing Poetry 2009. All Rights Reserved.

"Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words." ~Robert Frost

I thank you for visiting, Breathing Poetry.
~"May love and laughter light your days!"


Breathing Poetry: A Collection of Words and Emotions
Poetry Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory